Definition: Computer is an electronic device which is performing calculating,storing,
1. Speed: – Computer can work very fast. It takes only few seconds for calculations that we take hours to complete. You will be surprised to know that computer can perform millions (1,000,000) of instructions and even more per second.
2. Accuracy: – The degree of accuracy of computer is very high and every calculation is performed with the same accuracy. The accuracy level is 7 determined on the basis of design of computer. The errors in computer are due to human and inaccurate data.
3. Storage: – The Computer has an in-built memory where it can store a large amount of data. You can also store data in secondary storage devices such as floppies, which can be kept outside your computer and can be carried to other computers.
4. Diligence: – A computer is free from tiredness, lack of concentration, fatigue, etc. It can work for hours without creating any error. If millions of calculations are to be performed, a computer will perform every calculation with the same accuracy. Due to this capability it overpowers human being in routine type of work.
5. Versatility: – It means the capacity to perform completely different type of work. You may use your computer to prepare payroll slips. Next moment you may use it for inventory management or to prepare electric bills.
Advantages of Computers:
- High Speed: Computer is a very fast device.It is capable of performing calculation of very large amount of data.
- Storage Capability: A computer has much more storage capacity than human beings.It can store large amount of data.It can store any type of data such as images, videos, text, audio, etc.
- Reduction in Paper Work and Cost: The use of computers for data processing in an organization leads to reduction in paper work and results in speeding up the process.
- Accuracy: computers are very accurate,The calculations are 100% error free.Computers perform all jobs with 100% accuracy provided that the input is correct.
Disadvantages of Computers:
- Dependence: It functions as per the user’s instruction, thus it is fully dependent on humans.
- Environment: The operating environment of the computer should be dust free and suitable.
- No Feeling: Computers have no feelings or emotions.It cannot make judgment based on feeling, taste, experience, and knowledge unlike humans.