Male Reproduction System consists of a number of sex organs that play a role in the process of human reproduction. These organs are located on the outside of the body and within the pelvis. The main male sex organs are the penis and the testicles which produce semen and sperm, which, as part of sexual intercourse, fertilize an ovum in the female’s body; the fertilized ovum (zygote) develops into a fetus, which is later born as an infant.
Reproduction is the biological process of producing its own offspring of the same kind. It is one of the essential process that helps in providing the continuation of the species generation after generations.
There are 2 different types of reproduction
- Sexual reproduction.
- Asexual reproduction.
Male Reproduction System
The male reproductive organs are located in the lower abdomen around the pelvic region. The major function of the male reproductive organs is to deliver sperm for fertilization.
- Scrotum: A small muscular sac-like organ which is located below and behind the penis. It consists of the testes and is mainly involved in maintaining the temperature required for the of sperm production.
- Testes: It is also called as testicles. They are a pair of oval-shaped organs which are mainly responsible for the sperm production and synthesis of testosterone- male hormones.
- Penis: It is the primary sexual organ which serves as both reproductive organ as well as excretory organ and used for the purpose of sexual intercourse. It is a cylindrical tube-like organ with a small opening at the top and is extremely sensitive as it becomes vertical when a person is sexually aroused.
- Semen: It containing sperm, is ejaculated from the opening at the top when the person reaches sexual climax.
- Urethra: A narrow tube-like structure that conducts urine and semen from the urinary bladder to the penis.
- Vas Deferens: It is a muscular tube that carries mature sperm produced in the testes to the urethra.