Organizational Behaviour is so important matter for an organization to operate their business. We know every organization their ultimate target is to maximize profit by satisfying customers need, want and demand successfully. If any organization wants to do business for long time they must have to organize their business organization to compere in high competitive global market.
Definition of Organizational Behaviour
According to Robbins___“Organisational behaviour is a field of study that investigates the impact that individuals, groups and structure have on behaviour within the organisations for the purpose of applying such knowledge toward improving an organization’s effectiveness”.
According to Fred Luthans___“Organisational behaviour is directly concerned with the understanding, production and control of human behaviour in organisations”.
According to Davis___“Organisational behaviour is the study and application of knowledge about how people act within an organisation. It is a human tool for human benefit. It applies broadly to the behaviour of people in all types of organisation.”
Nature of Organizational Behaviour
- Organizational Behaviour is a study of human behaviour in individuals as well as in groups.
- The study involves human behaviour in organizations.
- Knowing human behaviour and in improving organizational effectiveness.
- OB believes that human behaviour in an organization can be studied predicted and influenced to improve efficiency.
- It is an apptical behavioural science that is built on contributions from a number of behaviour disciplines such as psychology,sociology,social psychology,anthropology and economics.
Importance of Organizational Behavior
Studying organizational behaviour benefits in several ways. It guides is in understanding organizations that affect our lives.
- Organizational Behaviour builds better relationship by achieving people’s, organizational objectives.
- It covers a wide array of human resource like behavior, training and development, change management, leadership, teams etc.
- Organizational Behavior brings coordination which is the essence of management.
- It improves goodwill of the organization.
- It helps to achieve objectives quickly.
- OB makes optimum utilization of resources.
- It facilitates motivation.
- It leads to higher efficiency.
- It improves relations in the organization.
- OB is multidisciplinary, in the sense that applies different techniques, methods, and theories to evaluate the performances.
Scope of Organizational Behaviour
The people constitute the internal social system of the organization. They consist of individuals and groups. Groups may be large or small, formal or informal, official or unofficial. They are dynamic. They form, change and disband. Human organization changes everyday. Today, it is not the same as it was yesterday. It may change further in the coming days. People are living, thinking and feeling being who created the organization and try to achieve the objectives and goals. Thus, organizations exist to serve the people and not the people exist to serve the organization.
Technology imparts the physical and economic conditions within which people work. With their bare hands people can do nothing so they are given assistance of buildings, machines, tools, processes and resources. The nature of technology depends very much on the nature of the organization and influences the work or working conditions. Thus, technology brings effectiveness and at the same restricts people in various ways.
3. Social System
O.B. is the study of human behaviour at work in organizations. Accordingly, the scope of O.B. includes the study of individuals, groups and organization/structure. Let us briefly reflect on what aspects each of these three cover.