Interview Preparation Techniques/ Tips
There are various tips for interview preparation for getting a job to effectively encounter:
- Before the Interview
- On the day of interview
- During the interview
- After the Interview
1. Before the Interview
1. Advance preparation: The candidate should do some homework before going to attend the interview. He should have information about the company,job profile and other relevant details related to it. This information will help the candidate to be different from the crowd and enhance his chances to get selected.
2. Role-Play: The candidate can take help of someone and ask him to play the role of interviewer. This helps to increasing the confidence level of the candidate as he can freely express his feelings and ideas in front of that person.
3. Practice in front a Mirror or Video Camera: Using mirror for practice or a video camera to record the role played by the candidate and ideas in front of that person.
4. Assessment of Interviewing Skills: Before going for an interview, the candidate should recognize his weaknesses and rectify them. He must possess skills that are required during the interview. Having too high or too low voice tone, inappropriate body language,wrong facial expression,poor etiquettes,etc., may adversely affect the interview.
5. Learn: The candidate should thoroughly learn the answers of such questions which are commonly asked by the interviewer. The answers should be clear and to the point.
6. Queries: In case, the candidate has some queries, he must be aware about when and where to ask them. The questions should be asked politely at appropriate place and time.
7. Realisation of Strengths: The candidate should self-scrutinise himself before going for an interview as his qualification,experience and skills are his major strengths that help him to achieve his desired job.
8. Self Appraisal: Before leaving for the interview, the candidate should appraisal his overall appearance.
9. Appropriate Clothing: Candidate should go for clothing which is suitable as per the demand of the job he is applying for. In most of the organizations,conservative clothing is given preference, but fashion and advertising industries often demand for stylish dressing style
10. Research the Company: The candidate should try to gather maximum information about the company and job position for which he wants to apply. This research work sometimes becomes very beneficial for the candidate.
2. On the Day of Interview
On the interview day, candidate should take care of following points.
- He should reach the destination on time or in fact, a bit early.
- He should have his resume, application letter and sample of his previous work.
- During the interview, the candidate carefully listen to questions asked by the interviewer and answerthem confidently and briefly.
- The main motto of candidate should be to show his positive points to the interviewer. Thus, he should be confident about his strengths.
- The candidate should be careful about his communication skills. The interviewer give preference to facial expression than the words in the resume, thus, the candidate should have that confidence on his face to support what actually he has writtenin his resume. Otherwise , the candidate may get rejected.
- The candidate should give his answers by speaking effectively as this shows his self-confidence.
- The interviewee should throughly check the interview invitation received received before going for the interview as it mentions all the documents that may be required at the time of interview. Thus it saves time of both the interviewer and the interviewee.
- Candidates having detailed information about the company always leave a positive impact on the interviewer. The candidate can share his personal viewsa and ideas about the company’s planning, structure, profitability, etc., in order to impress the interviewee.
- Carrying a pen and notepad is always beneficial. In case the candidate has to give the presentation, he should have the copy of it to be on safer side. Providing copies of data slides to the interview panel can become an additional point.
- In case the candidate is having a mobile, it should be switched off or kept on silent mode before stepping into the interview room.
3. During the Interview
During the interview, the main focus of both the parties is to gather all the possible in formation regarding each other. The interviewer tries to assess the suitability of the interviewee as per the requirement of the company and on the other hand, interviewee tries to evaluate the appropriateness of the job according to his personal requirement.
1. Introductory Stage: Introductory stage includes greeting and a precise discussion about the purpose of the interview.
2. Middle Stage: The middle stage covers the question and answers part, i.e., few questions are asked by the interviewer and the interviewee is expected to answer them.
3. Closing Stage: In this stage, interviewee is presented with a chance to clarify any doubt or any questions that are running through his mind, or are left unanswered, and finally greeting each other before shutting down the interview.
4. After the Interview
Once the interview is over, the candidate should:
1. Thank the Interviewer: Before leaving the interview room, the candidate should thank the interviewer. He can give write a short note to the interviewer in order to show his interest in the job with his name below it.
2. Follow-up: In case, the candidate does not receive any response from the interviewer or the company, he should make a call and ask the time that may be taken for the final decision. The interest of the candidate in the job engraves his image in the mind of the interviewer, as a result of which he may get nominated for the future vacancies.
3. Pull up the Socks: Not getting selected does not show that the candidate is not a potential individual. Candidate should not get upset,but boost up his morale and pull his socks up for the next interview. More the interviews faced by the candidate, more polished he becomes. Candidate should focus on strengthening his positive points rather than thinking about the previous interview.