Human resource Information system (HRIS) helps HR managers perform HR functions in a more effective and systematic way using technology. It is the system used to acquire, store, manipulate, analyze, retrieve, and distribute pertinent information regarding an organization’s human resources. A human resource information system (HRIS) is a system used to acquire, store, manipulate, analyze, retrieve, and distribute pertinent information about an organization’s human resources. The HRIS system is usually a part of the organization’s larger management information system (MIS) which would include accounting, production, and marketing functions, to name just a few. Human resource and line managers require good human resource information to facilitate decision-making.
Application of Human Resource Information System
- human resource planning
- manpower planning
- job analyses
- job description
- job specification
- performance appraisal
- performance management
- development programs
- career planning
- job rostering
- career development
- succession planning
- job rotation
- job enrichment
- job multiskilling
- compensation planning
- compensation package development
- staff leave management
- termination records management
- international staff records
Advantages of Human Resource Information System
1. It gives accurate information.
2. It does fast processing.
3. It works as a valuable tool to strategic planning and its implementation.
4. It gives instant information relating to existing human resources, skills, categories, pay structures, qualifications, training and development, experience etc.
5. It acts as a decision support system.
6. It is an expert system.
7. It is time efficient and not much expensive.
8. It facilitates reliable information.
9. Information relating to human resources is made easily accessible through HRIS.
10. It establishes strong management control.
11. It facilitates configurations of various designs, such as multiple systems, mixing of system designs, centralized computer facility. It tells about the attitude of the organisation regarding its human resources.
Infrastructure Required by Human Resource Information System
Computerized human resource information system is one time investment. Initial investment is very high. Installation of the entire network of computers, software’s, specialized staff need very heavy investment. But in the long run it is very cost effective. It is quite cheap. For its use only the computer consumables are required.
HRIS is the system which facilitates quick human resource decision making. But it has certain drawbacks. This information is easily accessible by anyone and hence there is every likelihood of its misuse or underuse. It requires that the members of the organisation using HRIS must follow certain ethics and abstain from revealing the vital information to any unauthorized person.
It is a strategic tool in the hands of management for effective planning for future. Therefore the secrecy of the information must be maintained at any cost. The employees of the organisation need to be trained on certain ethics to be followed by everyone.
Human Resource Information System Software
- Abra Suite: for human resources and payroll management
- ABS (Atlas Business Solutions): General Information, Wages information, emergency information, Reminders, Evaluators, Notes customer information, Documents and photos, Separation information.
- CORT: HRMS: applicant tracking, Attendance tracking and calendars, Wage information, Skills tracking, Reports-to information, Status tracking, Job history tracking, Cost center tracking, Reviews and tracking, Mass update and change tools etc.
- HRSOFT: Identify and track senior managers, Assess management skills and talents, Generate a wide range of reports, resumes, employee profiles, replacement tables and succession analysis reports, Identify individuals for promotion, skills shortages, unexpected vacancy, Discover talent deep, Competency Management, career development, align succession plans etc.
- Human Resource MicroSystems: sophisticated data collection and reporting, flexible spending accounts, compensation, employment history, time off, EEO, qualifications, Applicant/Requisition Tracking, Position Control/Succession Planning, Training Administration, Organization Charts, HRIS-Pro Net (employee/managerial self-service), HR Automation (eNotification and eScheduler), and Performance Pro (performance management)
- ORACLE- HRMS: Oracle iRecruitment, Oracle Self-Service Human Resources, Payroll, HR Intelligence, Oracle Learning Management, Oracle Time and Labor
- PEOPLESOFT: Enterprise eRecruit, Enterprise Resume Processing, Enterprise Services Procurement, Workforce Planning, Warehouse
- SAP HR: Human Capital Management (HCM) for Business, All-in-One: Rapid HR,
- SPECTRUM HR: iVantage® and HRVantage®. iVantage is a Web-based HRIS product designed for organizations with up to 10,000 employees.
- VANTAGE: HRA: ‘Point-and-Click’ report writing, internal Messaging System for leaving reminders to yourself, to someone else or to everyone using HRA – very useful for Benefit Applications, Disciplinary Actions, Special Events, Employee Summary Screen for Basic, Leave (Absenteeism) and Salary/Position History, skills & training module, Leave Tracking Module.