The Sun, all the planets, asteroids, meteoroids, comets and other bodies revolving around the sun is called Solar system.
Our Solar system belongs to Milkyway Galaxy. A large group of stars is called Galaxy. There are many Galaxies in the Universe.The nearest Galaxy to Milky Way is Andromeda Galaxy. It is also known as Messier 31, M31, or NGC 224, is a spiral galaxy approximately 780 kiloparsecs (2.5 million light-years) from the Earth. Parsec is the largest unit of length. 1 Parsec = 3.26 light years.
Planets in the order
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Pluto.
Pluto was considered as a planet until 2006. In 2006 Pluto was removed from the list of planets.
|Planet||Diameter||Distance from sun||Orbit Period||Satellites||Length of day(Hours)|
|Mercury||4,879 km||57,909,227 km (0.39 AU)||88 days||0||4222.6|
|Venus||12,104 km||108,209,475 km (0.73 AU)||225 days||0||2802|
|Earth||12,742 km||149,598,262 km (1 AU)||365.24 days||1||24|
|Mars||6,779 km||227,943,824 km (1.38 AU)||1.9 years||2||24.6597|
|Jupiter||139,822 km||778,340,821 km (5.20 AU)||11.9 years||63||9.9259|
|Saturn||116,464 km||1,426,666,422 km (9.58 AU)||29.5 years||60||10.656|
|Uranus||50,724 km||2,870,658,186 km (19.22 AU)||84.0 years||27||17.24|
|Neptune||49,244 km||4,498,396,441 km (30.10 AU)||164.8 years||13||16.11|
Solar System facts
• There are nearly 200 billion stars in our Solar system.
• The largest planet in our solar system is Jupiter. Jupiter’s mass is 300 times more than that of Earth. And its diameter is 11 times more than Earth’s diameter.
• Jupiter has a total of 63 confirmed natural satellites (as of 2009).
• Mercury and Venus have no natural satellites.
• Mars is often called the Red Planet because it appears in the sky as an orange-red star.
• Venus and Earth are called twins. Because they both are almost same size.
• Mercury is the smallest planet in our solar system since Pluto is not considered as a planet.
• All the planets in the Solar system except Venus and Uranus rotates from west to east.
• Mars has two small natural Satellites named Phobos and Deimos.
• Venus is called Morningstar and as well as Evening star.
• Asteroid Belt is located between Mars and Jupiter.
• The Solar System formed around 4.6 billion years ago.
• Venus is the hottest planet in the sun family.