Biometrics are physical or behavioral human characteristics to that can be used to digitally identify a person to grant access to systems, devices or data. Ex: of these biometric identifiers are Fingerprints, Facial patterns, Voice or Typing cadence. Each of these identifiers is considered unique to the individual, and they may be used in combination to ensure greater accuracy of identification.
Types of Biometrics
A biometric identifier is one that is related to intrinsic human characteristics. They fall roughly into two categories: physical identifiers and behavioral identifiers. Physical identifiers are, for the most part, immutable and device independent:
- Fingerprints: Fingerprint scanners have become ubiquitous in recent years due to their widespread deployment on smartphones. Any device that can be touched, such as a phone screen, computer mouse or touch pad, or a door panel, has the potential to become an easy and convenient fingerprint scanner.
- Iris Recognition: It is an automated method of biometric identification that uses mathematical pattern-recognition techniques on video images of one or both of the irises of an individual’s eyes, whose complex patterns are unique, stable, and can be seen from some distance.
- Voice Recognition: Voice-based digital assistants and telephone-based service portals are already using voice recognition to identify users and authenticate customers.
- Signature: Digital signature scanners are already in widespread use at retail checkouts and in banks and are a good choice for situations where users and customers are already expecting to have to sign their names.
- DNA: In this biometric technology, some part of an individual’s body like saliva, nail, hair or blood is picked by forensic folks and then is taken through all forensic labs for various investigations and medicinal purposes. DNA contains information about race, paternity, and medical conditions for specific disease. DNA matching is a proven method of personal identification where a physical sample of an individual can be analyzed to confirm his/her identity. With the invention of this technology, forensic investigations have got great relief as this biometrics helps in tracing the criminals.